Coffee Bean Brigadeiros are deliciously chocolatey bites that will brighten up your day. The perfect addition to any party, brigadeiros are a traditional Brazilian treat!
This year I’m attempting a new recipe challenge: Around the World in 12 Plates! Started by Gabby at The Food Girl in Town, I’m going to be joining up with a bunch of other bloggers to celebrate food from all over the world with a recipe once a month!
After dropping the ball on last month’s location of China (I had a recipe, it did not make it past the testing phase! Oh well, ya win some, ya lose some!), I was determined that I would tackle Brazil with as much gusto as I could muster. After doing extensive research, I soon came to the conclusion that brigadeiros HAD to be the recipe I made! (Chocolate, hello.)
Not being Brazilian myself, I adapted one from Olivia’s Cuisine. After all my research the recipe seems quite standard, but I loved her instructions the best.
The recipe is ridiculously easy. Cocoa powder, condensed milk, butter, instant coffee powder…
But seriously, when all the recipes said ‘have patience’, they weren’t kidding! I looked everywhere for some sort of time approximation and couldn’t find one. It takes 25 minutes. Of active stirring. But boy, were they worth it!
After about 20 minutes, you’ll notice it gets much thicker. Once you can run a spoon down the middle and it stays apart for 2-3 seconds, you are ready!
…Ready to put it in the fridge and wait another hour. Ugh… if you steal a little bit now, I won’t blame you!
Once it’s chilled, you can easily work with it. Make sure to grease your hands, because this stuff sticks to EVERYTHING. It’s like taffy almost.
Pick up about a tablespoon’s worth, make it a circle and flatten it. Pop the bean in the middle…
Roll the chocolate over the bean, and roll the whole thing into a ball.
Roll the ball in sprinkles, plop in festive small cupcake cups, and there you go!
Adorable treats for everyone! They’re like truffles, but slightly chewier. A little bite to make your day brighter!
- 1 (13oz or 300 mL) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee powder
- 2 Tbsp butter, plus more for greasing your hands during the rolling stage
- pinch of salt
- 24 espresso beans, one for the centre of each brigadeiro
- Chocolate sprinkles
- In a pot on the stove, mix the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, coffee powder, 2 Tbsp butter and salt until combined.
- Set heat to low (I used the 3-4 range on my stove), and start stirring. You will need patience, as you will need to keep stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- At some point, (about 25 minutes in for me), the mixture will become very thick, and you can run your spoon through the middle of it without it running back together for 2-3 seconds.
- Spread the mixture in a greased pan, and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Grease your hands well (you will need to regrease as you go). Pull about a tablespoon of the chewy mixture away, and form into a round disk.
- Put a single coffee bean in the centre, and fold the edges of the disk over it.
- Roll into a ball, cover with sprinkles, and serve in a small cupcake cup.
Pin this recipe for Coffee Bean Brigadeiros for later!